The NWSL permanently banned four coaches, including Paul Riley, and left the team hammered with fines and suspensions.

National Women’s Soccer League Monday Coaches and executives were issued suspensions and large team fines Based on the league’s findings Joint Research Report In December, US Soccer’s Sally Q spoke about systemic abuse in women’s soccer. Released in addition to Yates’s independent research. Allegations of past abuse and sexual misconduct.

Bans ranged from multiple coaches being permanently banned from working in the league, to hefty fines for governing bodies and clubs. Former Portland Thorns and North Carolina Courage coach Paul Riley, who was accused by former players of sexual misconduct, is one of the most notable coaches to receive a permanent ban by the league.

“The league will prioritize implementing and improving policies, programs and systems that prioritize the health and safety of our players,” NWSL Commissioner Jessica Berman said in a statement.

“Those actions are fundamental to the future of our league, especially as we build a league that strengthens the ability of our players to succeed and thrive on and off the pitch. As part of our commitment to accountability and resilience, the league has determined that more joint investigative reports identify Corrective action against certain institutions and individuals is appropriate and necessary.”

“There is truth in the report,” said Meghan Burke, executive director of the NWSLPA.

“True accountability is found in the actions taken thus far, and just as importantly, in the choices made by those in positions of power moving forward,” Berkeley added in a statement released by the union. “Now, it’s time to feel the change.”

Here’s what you need to know about Monday’s restrictions:

Permanently Banned Coaches:

  • Paul Riley
  • Christy Holley
  • Rory Dames
  • Richie Burke

Banned Coaches and Executives till 2025:

  • Craig Harrington
  • Alyse LaHue

The league said future employment for Harrington and LaHue will be at the commissioner’s discretion after the ban ends. They will be required to “admit wrongdoing” and “accept personal responsibility for inappropriate conduct” as well as participate in training and demonstrate a sincere commitment to improve behavior.

Coaches on conditional future employment:

  • Farid Benstiti
  • James Clarkson
  • Vera Pau
  • Amanda Cromwell
  • Sam Green
  • Allyn Reiss

To some extent similar to Harrington and LaHue, these six trainers will be required to “admit wrongdoing” and “accept personal responsibility for inappropriate conduct” as well as demonstrate a sincere commitment to participating in training and improving behavior.

Club fined

  • Chicago Red Stars: $1.5 million.
  • Portland Thorns: $1 million.
  • Racing Louisville: $200,000.
  • North Carolina Courage: $100,000.
  • OL Rule: $50,000.
  • Gotham FC (formerly, Sky Blue FC): $50,000.

In addition to the fines, North Carolina and Louisville will be required to hire sports personnel — coaches and general managers — that are completely separate from the men’s teams. Employees for women’s teams will be required to report directly to ownership.

As for the Thorns and Red Stars, the league says Merritt Paulson and Arnim Whistler are selling their respective clubs and the NWSL will work with them to ensure the transfer of power is swift and appropriate. Paulson pledged $1 million to help establish the NWSL Player Safety Office, which could match the $1 million fine issued Monday.

Clubs not fined:

  • Washington Spirit
  • Kansas City Current

The league noted that Washington avoided any penalties when Steve Baldwin changed ownership in March 2022 by selling the team to Y. Michelle Kang. As far as Kansas City goes, the league expressed concern about “misbehavior” by players. or retaliating for raising those concerns.”

Organizational Restrictions:

  • NWSL League Office: “Any individual previously employed by the NWSL or US Soccer named in the joint search report is not currently employed in any capacity within the NWSL.” The league also announced it had “spent millions of dollars” conducting joint investigations. These efforts are planned to continue under new leadership to ensure comprehensive systemic improvements to create a safer environment for players and staff. “
  • US Soccer: The league clarified that it has no authority over the Participant Safety Task Force run by the US Soccer Federation, but plans to collaborate with the USSF “in an effort to improve the girls and women’s soccer ecosystem.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *